Re: [at-l] Another lurker intro and question

Teri Gardella wrote:

> Now for my question ...
> Like I said, I want to try backpacking.  However, none of my friends share
> this desire and I don't want to go it alone without any experience..  I
> also don't want to spend a ton of $$$ on gear before I've even tried
> backpacking.  I was thinking a weekend trip organized by a hiking club in
> the area might be the way to go.  Does anyone know of any clubs in the CT
> area?

Many stores will rent gear (like REI). Some stores have a liberal return
policy, so you can try out gear, and if it doesn't suit you, you can
return it.

As for hiking clubs, I don't live in CT so I'm not sure, but there's
probably an AT chapter up there somewhere that has hiking groups. I have
a similar situation - I have a boyfriend who doesn't like to hike, a
friend I hate to hike with (my feet hurt, my back hurts, whine, whine,
etc), and her boyfriend who I love to hike with, but he's not really
"allowed". :) Maybe you can convince someone to do an overnight trip
that is pretty tame (> 5 miles a day), they might actually enjoy it.

Good luck!

--
Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven