[at-l] Waterproof Boots

I personally feel that fully waterproof boots in a downpour are more
detrimental than beneficial.  In the late 60's early 70's I was a
drill sgt.  One pair of my boots were treated with a product called
Leather Luster.  This was a paint that made the leather appear to
be spit shined almost like patent leather.  It also served to totally
waterproof the boots.  When wearing fatigues, the pants were bloused.
That means that the cuffs were tucked inside the boots.  On one particulary
rainy day I was wearing my poncho.  Water was dripping off the poncho onto
my pant legs.  Every drop of water on the pants wicked into the boots.  The
waterproofing worked perfectly, not one drop got out of the boots until
I took them off at the end of the day and turned them over.  Army issue
jungle boots, on the other hand had two grommet holes at the instep
to allow water to run out of the boot.  IMHO Mud and puddles are the place
for waterproof boots but serious rain, I would rather be in canvas keds.
Rich