Re: [at-l] Nature Guides/reading material

Hello Rachel,

I thought about giving the Geology of the Appalachian Trail(available
from the ATC) a good read before I left.  The book is too heavy to
tote around, but from what I have heard, it is quite interesting.  We
used to like picking up  copies of backpacker magazine and making fun
of the gear(the heat helped!) and the people in the magazine.  I
couldn't see myself doing it now as a past time, but after a few weeks
on trail in some good summer intense heat, you find odd things  very
entertaining.  Then a few days later, putting a bit on salt on the
magazine and eating the it looks good too! =20

Courtney

>Linda Patton and I had been talking back and forth regarding
>nature guide books.  I had found a nice size book called the
>Winter Tree Finder at an EMS store.  I wrote to the address listed
>on the inside of cover and I requested a catalog of the publisher's
>offerings.  I received a small flyer that listed many other similar
>books geared specifically for the East Coast.  They were only
>$4 each and covered birds, flowers, berries, ferns, trees, and
>and a couple of other areas.  I ordered a couple of them and plan
>to send them to myself along the trail and switch back and forth
>between guide books so I can add a little bit of education and variety
>to my hike.  I got an accurate weight on the Winter Tree Finder--
>only 1.8 ounces!  I'm hoping that all of the other books are
>similarly sized.
>
>If anybody else is interested in this series, I can get the
>address and post it for you.
>
>42 DAYS TO GO!
>
>Rachel
>"Solophile"  GA-->ME  '97
>http://www.webcom.com/markham/at-hike

Courtney Smith
jamessmith@stc.net
jcsmith@bernie.ngc.peachnet.edu
One seventh of your life is spent on Monday.