[at-l] A Recipe (for Doug too)

Here's a little something for everybody from my 4'11"
Puerto Rican grandmother (who is still trying to convince my
mother that she needs to FORBID me to go on the trail for my
own safety).

Spanish Beans

2 - 15 1/2 oz cans of red kidney beans (drained)
1 - 16 oz can tomato sauce
1 medium onion chopped
olive oil (for sauteing)
4 large cloves garlic, crushed
2 envelopes Sazon (A spanish seasoning that can be found in
most grocery stores that sell ethnic foods.  Look for the Goya
brand name section.  Sazon comes in an orange box.  Sorry if they
don't have this in Newfoundland, Doug--I could snail mail you some....)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 large potato, cut into bite-size chunks

Saute onion in oil until onions are transparent.  Add
crushed garlic and saute a little more.  Add tomato sauce
and all the spices and stir.  Add kidney beans (my mom uses
undrained beans, but I keep trying to explain to her that the
liquid is what gives you gas....)  Simmer covered on
low flame about 15 minutes.  Add potatoes and simmer covered
for an additional 15 minutes.

If I'm going to dehydrate this for trail use, I put it on
the trays at this point.  If I'm going to eat this at home,
I add some spanish olives to the dish and serve it over rice.

Just a little something ethnic to spice up your trail diet....

Rachel
"Solophile"  GA-->ME  '97
http://www.webcom.com/markham/at-hike