[at-l] Shelter register rules

What are the rules or guidelines of etiquette for placing a new register at
a shelter or crossing?  Are there any? My daughter & I live near Springer, &
we've discussed putting one in a shelter somewhere along the Ga. section to
be returned when it's filled.  How does one do that (aside from putting it
in a ziplock and dropping it into the register holder)?  What do you do
about getting it back?  When I went to Springer last month, there was one
half-full register and another new one to be used later in the drawer.
Suggestions?

Jim Greenway