[at-l] Another lurker intro and question

Hello everyone!

My name is Teri and I've been "lurking" for a few months now.  I've been
day-hiking for over 10 years but never backpacking.  I am very interested
in trying it, so I joined this list with hopes of learning more about it.
Looks like I hit the jackpot!!!  This list has been very informative, not
to mention entertaining.

Now for my question ...
Like I said, I want to try backpacking.  However, none of my friends share
this desire and I don't want to go it alone without any experience..  I
also don't want to spend a ton of $$$ on gear before I've even tried
backpacking.  I was thinking a weekend trip organized by a hiking club in
the area might be the way to go.  Does anyone know of any clubs in the CT
area?

Thanks,
Teri