[at-l] Just thinkin.....

All this excitement from the class of '97 thru hikers and soon you
will all be on your way.  In a way I am very jealous.  For those out
there who have actually completed a thru hike....  I don't really know
how to phrase this, but if I ever actually decided to give it a try, I
think my attitude would be to start, with a plan for a few weeks and
just see how things went.  Maybe I'd go the distance, maybe not.  Is
important to start with the idea of finishing always on your mind?  I had
the great pleasure to hike for about a week in PA and NJ along with
Bob, the River Bum, who when he left home, told his wife he might be
back in two days or in three months.  We thought he was going off trail
in Kent, CT but from other postings on this list we learned he had made
Katahdin.  Just easy going all the way, at whatever pace he felt like.

Maybe when I retire......

Sharon
ssharpe@wellesley.edu