[at-l] Re: Wingfoot's Handbook

> Golly gee, Big E - lighten up! You've been walking thru too many stinging
> nettles.  Something tells me you are one of those Type A folks who
> adhere to schedules - good guess?

IMHO, Wingfoot's Thru-Hiker's Handbook is a tremendous gift to the
community.  It made my 96 hike much more enjoyable.  I wouldn't think of
taking a step in 97 without it.  I am disheartened by the animosity from
some parts of the AT community towards the book.  I never found the book
substantively wrong.  Wingfoot even has the courtesy to mail updates to
places along the Trail.  Several times along the Trail people with other
guides expressed their jealousy to me.  But I don't want to start a
"which book to buy" war.  Let me just say that I see no reason to
criticize Wingfoot for his hard work.  If you don't want the book, don't
buy it.  But you can be sure what advice I will give.

But what I was getting to is that I'm a firm "Type A" person.  I use my
watch extensively on my hike.  I insist on getting out of camp 60 (not
61) minutes after I wake up.  I know my pace well enough to know within
10 minutes when to expect the shelter.  Etc. Etc.  It's MY hike and I
wouldn't wish it on anyone else.  But being "Type A" doesn't mean you
can't handle a change in plans or an unexpected detour.  That's part of
the fun of the Trail for me too, even if I like to calculate an estimate
of how much later that will mean I get to the next beautiful pass.

And as a firm Type A person, I still can't imagine planning my whole
itinerary before leaving like many on this list do.  A couple weeks ahead
is about all I can reasonably predict and schedule.

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu   "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	   and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  (713) 630-8678         many people as I wish."    |
|http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danieljg    GA->PA 96, PA->ME 97         |