[at-l] Film for Hike

At 06:36 PM 2/5/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello again,
>
>	I just got reply from Seattle Film Works, also Walmart. Either place
>will make prints and slides and digitize your pictures from
>ANY FILM. So you can use a good slide film of your choice, have excelent
>slides and prints.
>
>chase

This is true, but there is an expense associated with this. If you take a
lot of pictures, this can get expensive.  I took over 1000 slides - this
would have gotten very expensive. (why I used mailers and film bought mail
order from NYC with a total cost for 36 exp. of under $8).  Of course, I
didn't end up with prints or digital then!  (I was fortunate - my hiking
partner (my wife) carried a point and shoot and shot print film.) But if you
go the above route, you should be aware that slides, 1 set of 4x6 prints and
digitizing for 1 36exp. roll will cost you  $24.35 (shipping included) at
Seattle Film Works.  I don't know Walmart's charge.  If you do just prints
and slides, you could save $5.95 by not digitizing and then selecting out
your best pics and getting them digitized.  I don't know if Seattle or
Walmart offers this service, but I know Dale Labs in Florida will do it for
$9.95 for 24 pics(not including shipping to and back).

Slides alone at Seattle for 36 exposures cost $8.45 (processing only -
doesn't include cost of film - figure $3-5 for Fuji or Kodak film). The Fuji
mailer route makes more sense if you just want slides.

 If your picture taking is modest, then Seattle, Dale, etc are not bad
choices.  As far as films go, although I use Fuji films mostly, Dale Labs
100 ASA film produced impressive slides (and is the same stuff Seattle Film
Works uses and you can buy Seattle's film for $2.75).  I'm sure that the
Seattle Film Works type of film has more exposure latitude than the Kodaks
and Fuji slide films due to the nature of the film.  This allows for you to
be off somewhat in  your exposure and still get a good picture - something
to think about when using a point and shoot where you do not have much
control over the exposure. (This is true of all print films vs. slide films)
Also, if you are using a point and shoot, think about using an ASA400 film.
Your pictures will be sharper.  You may not be able to blow them up to 20x30
without grain, but the overall sharpness is better than 100 or 200, because
the higher film speed results in you shooting at a faster shutter speed
which helps to prevent those fuzzy pictures.  I can verify this from
personal experience.

I do know that Kodak is now offering digitizing as well, but not from slide
films. And of course they are undoubtedly more expensive - will be
interesting to see the differences in quality between all these options.

Just thought I would throw all this out there to confuse matters more! Like
you needed something else to think about just before your hike!  Maybe an
easier solution is to walk into the ATC Hdqtrs and buy those already made
slides!  :)

Mark (camera nerd)

	Mark and Janet Holmes
	AT Journal at http://members.tripod.com/~Mark_Holmes/AT.html
	Fox Hill Inn - Innkeepers 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
	Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
	Provider of shuttles in SW VA
	Phone: 540-677-3313