Re: [at-l] Favorite Breakfasts?

>> >It's also nice to occasionally take enough bacon with you from a resupply
>> >for a couple of day's breakfasts.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience on who long bacon keeps on the trail?  Would
>> other meats, like ham say, do better?  (Fresh we're talking about here, not
>> canned).
>
>I've found that bacon will keep just fine for two days, given that it doesn't
>get too warm. The salt curing preserves it quite well. If the weather is hot,
>store it in the middle of your pack with some insulation (clothing, etc)
>wrapped around it.
>
>I also often take a whole, or part of a whole, salami with me for lunch/dinner
>when backpacking, and that will keep even longer. I don't know exactly how
long
>it will last because I always manage to eat it all up after only a couple of
>days! Others I know prefer summer sausage, which also keeps just fine for at
>least a few days.

We have taken bacon, summer sausage, and salami and eaten it over a three
day period. Hard cheese as well. All are good for breakfast or any other
meal and pita bread works well to hold it. It doesn't get smashed up and
makes a quick sandwich. I didn't like pita bread with sardines in mustard sauce.

Deb G.
Deborah S. Grove, Ph.D.
Manager, Nucleic Acid Facility
210 Wartik Laboratory