No Subject

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:35:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [at-l] Favorite Breakfasts?

>It's also nice to occasionally take enough bacon with you from a resupply
for a
>couple of day's breakfasts.

Anyone have any experience on who long bacon keeps on the trail?  Would
other meats, like ham say, do better?  (Fresh we're talking about here, not
canned).

James, I don't think I would even consider taking something like bacon on the
trail unless you plan to eat it right away. If you are thinking of trying ot
dehydrate it, don't, it will never make it. There is way to much fat in it to
go rancid. On the other hand you might want to try some of the turkey bacon. I
have not tried them to dry yet, I just don't trust the integrety (sp) of
keeping something like that on the trail. It will also be subjective to the
temps you encounter. As far as canned meats, I think they are good for many
years, and unless the seals and seams look corroded I wouldn't worry about them