[at-l] Filter Integrity

I believe a question was asked this past week regarding water
filter cartridges and how you can tell when the filter has
been compromised and is no longer filtering as it should.
I thought I had heard before that some people test their
filters by trying to filter water colored with a few drops
of food dye.  If the color shows up in your filtered water,
the cartridge or filter is not functioning correctly.  If you
get clear water out, then your cartridge should be good.

Is this a valid test?  Do all manufacturers approve of this
method of testing, or is it just some specific brands or models
that can be tested this way?  What size of micron filtrations is
required to eliminate dye?  Seems like a pretty simple technique to me.

Rachel
"Solophile"  GA-->ME  '97
http://www.webcom.com/markham/at-hike