Re: [at-l] Soot on the MSR

At 06:04 PM 1/31/97 PST, MManzano@aol.com wrote:
><<One of the most important things I learned on the trail was how to
>eliminate the dirty black film that forms on a coleman fueled stove
>(Whisperlite) when you prime it with coleman or white fuel.  That sooty
>substance sticks to everything and is impossible to wash off your hands,
>clothing, or pack.  To avoid that problem, I carry a small (4 oz) plastic
>bottle of denatured alchohol and use that to prime the stove.  It is visible
>when it burns and primes just as well as coleman fuel, but it does not
>leave the black, dirty film.  Try it and pass it along.  >>
>
>I tried that and the plastic bottle leaked.  Now I take a plastic grocery bag
>to hold the stove.  When I'm setting it up I keep a part of the plastic

I also use the alcohol trick with my Whisperlite and highly recommend it.
I suggest repackaging the alcohol into a small squeeze bottle such as
saline nasal spray comes in.  The kind with a removable plug.  It is very
important that the top have a flange, like the one in a Nalgene bottle, so
that when it is screwed on it makes a tight seal.  You can also buy bottles
like this from scientific equipment suppliers: for example, the "2oz PE
indicator bottle, catalog. no. 11662-0000" from "Bel-Art Products,
Pequannock, NJ 07440-1992" works really well.  I carry mine in the stuff
sack with the stove, and I really don't worry about it leaking.  If I did
worry, I'd just stick it in a ziploc bag.

-- Jim Mayer