[at-l] More Poems

I think I'm a little late in joining in on this thread,
but here are a few of my favorites.  They're not
specifically related to the AT, but I think many of you
will be able to relate to them.
--Rachel

From Longfellow's _Driftwood_

If spring came but once a century
instead of once a year, or burst forth with
the sound of an earthquake and not in
silence, what wonder and expectation
there would be in all hearts to behold
the miraculous change.

Advice to Beginners, by Ellen Kort

Begin.  Keep on beginning.  Nibble on everything.
Take a hike.  Teach yourself to whistle.  Lie.
The older you get the more they'll want your stories.
Make them up.  Talk to stones.  Short-out electric
fences.  Swim with the sea turtle into the moon.  Learn
how to die.  Eat moonshine pie.  Drink wild geranium
tea.  Run naked in the rain.  Everything that happens
will happen and none of us will be safe from it.
Pull up anchors.  Sit close to the god of night.
Lie still in a stream and breathe water.  Climb to the
top of the highest tree until you come to the branch
where the blue heron sleeps.  Eat poems for breakfast.
Wear them on your forehead.  Lick the mountain's
bare shoulder.  Measure the color of days
around your mother's death.  Put your hands
over your face and listen to what they tell you.

If I Had My Life To Live Over, by Nadine Stair

I'd dare to make more mistakes next time.  I'd relax,
I would limber up.  I would be sillier than I have been
this trip.  I would take fewer things seriously.  I would
take more chances.  I would climb more mountains and
swim more rivers.  I would eat more ice cream and
less beans.  I would perhaps have more actual troubles,
but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly
and sanely hour after hour, day after day.  Oh, I've had
my moments, and if I had it to do over again, I'd have
more of them.  In fact, I'd try to have nothing else.
Just moments, one after another, instead of living so
many years ahead of each day.  I've been one of those
persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer,
a hot water bottle, a raincoat and a parachute.  If I
had it to do again, I would travel lighter than I have.

If I had my life to live over, I would start
barefoot earlier in the year and stay that way later
in the fall.  I would go to more dances.  I
would ride more merry-go-rounds.  I would
pick more daisies.