[at-l] A Recipe

Well, I'm sitting here now enjoying the last satisfying moments
of my bread fix and feeling kinda charitable and happy with the
world, so I thought I'd share with everybody.  (It's amazing what
a loaf of homemade wheat bread with sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and a
hint of brown sugar in the dough will do for a person.)

This recipe is for those that don't mind dehydrating entrees
that require a day or two of drying time, or it's just a great
all-around meal for eating at home:

SOUTHWEST STEW
2C cooked black beans (if canned, rinse and drain)
1 large yam, chopped into bite-size pieces
1-1/2C chopped, peeled, tomatoes (I use canned)
small can tomato sauce
1-1/2C frozen corn kernels (or fresh if you're lucky)
1/4 of an habanero chili pepper (these things are HOT) stems and
seeds removed, and chopped extremely fine
2 cloves garlic, pressed
several sprigs of fresh cilantro (or dried if you can't get fresh)
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
1 tsp ground cumin

optional vegetables you can add:
2 C red cabbage, chopped coarsely
1 C carrots, chopped coarsely
2 ribs celery, chopped coarsely

Put the chopped yam and any optional vegetables into a heavy pot
with enough water to just cover.  Cover and cook on high until just
tender.  Drain off extra liquid.

In fry pan, heat oil and saute chopped onions until translucent.
Add chili peppers, garlic, and cumin to fry pan and cook 1 more minute.
Add tomatoes, sauce, corn, beans, yam/vegetable mixture, and cilantro.
Add salt to taste (usually not necessary), and heat through.

I usually will start rehydrating this meal around lunch time.
I put a serving in a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle and add enough
water to cover.  It's usually rehydrated by dinner time and
I check the rehydrating during the afternoon to see if more
H2O is needed. I often don't even bother to heat it.  It's a very
tasty dish, just be careful with those chili peppers.  Cut my
amount in half the first time you try this recipe.  They can be
absolutely lethal.

ENJOY!!

Rachel
"Solophile"  GA-->ME  '97