Re: [at-l] Filling Fuel Bottles

Hi Solo:

Counting the days, huh?

Fill your fuel bottle up to the line the manufacturer indicates.  Don't
overfill it,
it gets messy.

I fill mine with only enough fuel to get me to the next resupply point.
 There are
now many places along the trail that sell coleman by the ounce, so there is
no
need to carry that heavy FULL bottle when you can refill as you resupply
other
things.

One of the most important things I learned on the trail was how to eliminate
the
dirty black film that forms on a coleman fueled stove (Whisperlite) when you
prime
it with coleman or white fuel.  That sooty substance sticks to everything and
is
impossible to wash off your hands, clothing, or pack.  To avoid that problem,
I carry
a small (4 oz) plastic bottle of denatured alchohol and use that to prime the
stove.
It is visible when it burns and primes just as well as coleman fuel, but it
does not
leave the black, dirty film.  Try it and pass it along.

Good luck.

Ed (The Big E)