Re: [at-l] tube tents

> Re using a tube tent on the AT - DONT!

I would respectfully disagree with this blanket statement.

> I carried one in '88, used it 3 times,
> and it had holes in the bottom after
> the second time.  When it poured rain
> the third time I used it, I went
> swimming.  After that it was totally
> useless so I threw it away. Tube tents
> are simply too flimsy for prolonged
> use.

A lot depends on the tube tent. Some are indeed very flimsy and can only be
used with great care. Others are fairly durable. For the first 10 years I
backpacked, a tube tent was the ONLY shelter I carried. I spent these 10 years
hiking all of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California (some very rugged
terrain) and never had any problems with tube tent failure. They may eventually
develop a small hole or two after a lot of use, but then it's just time to slap
a temporary piece of duct tape on and replace them at the first opportunity.
They are certainly cheap enough to do so without worry.

> There is also the problem that
> you need two trees the right distance
> apart in order to set it up.  This
> precludes grassy balds and scenic
> overlooks as campsites.

Or use two sticks. Or a walking stick (if you carry one) and another stick.

> Then there's the fact that they don't help
> with the bugs.  If you are carrying ground
> cloth, mosquito netting and a tube tent
> or tarp, often the weight ends up the
> same or more than a light tent like the
> Clip flashlight.

You're right about the lack of built-in bug protection, but I think you're way
off on your weight calculations. What does a Clip Flashlight weigh with stakes,
ties, and groundcloth? 4 lbs? 5 lbs? A tube tent will weigh about 1 lb. Enough
no-see-um netting to cover oneself would certainly weigh no more than 1/2
pound. With the tube tent you don't really need a ground cloth, but let's be
really conservative and add another 1/2 lb for a small ground cloth. That ends
up with no more than 2 lbs, or half the weight or less of a Clip.

> If you want to make a tent or backpack,
> you might try contacting Ray Jardine. I
> know he built his own.

Ray Jardine uses a tarp that he sets up just like a tube tent, ie, between two
sticks or trees.

Michael Connick
GA->ME on the Appalachian Trail in 98!

E-mail: Michael_Connick@clrmnt.com