[at-l] scales

Although typical bathroom scales are terrible for weighting small
things, if you don't need too much accuracy weigh yourself.  While on
the scale pick up the object in question.  Subtract your weight.
Good to a half pound at best.

I just fill my pack with all the stuff I want, but I have a hidden
agenda of which things I can remove if I get the wrong answer when I
step on the scale.  Keep removing things until you get the right
answer.  It is only the total weight that counts and you won't notice
a half pound more or less out of 25-70.  Besides, the amount of food
even after a fill up varies by more than that.

If you can't get the weight down enough, then it is time to visit the
stores looking for lighter versions of things you have to have.