Re: [at-l] Water bladders (was: Dana Wet Rib)

Solo--, Jim, etal,,

At 05:50 AM 1/28/97 PST, Jim Mayer wrote:
>As long as we are talking about easy access to water, what have peoples'
>experiences with hydration bladders been?

   Have not tried the various "hydration" schemes,, my CampTrails has the
water bottle holder within easy reach (usually use a liter pop bottle). I
carry a 6 liter MSR Dormendary, very seldom fill it full, unless I'm heading
into a dry camp/shelter (then I'll try to fill up within a mile of my
destination, that extra 12+ lbs at the end is a killer). I'm thinking of
Peters Mt. Shelter just past Duncannon, the water was only a little way off
(at the bottom of the ridge), being forewarned I carried about 4 extra
liters from near Zeager Shelter (about 1.5 miles [in 94]). At least I didn't
have to face hiking down the ridge and back, like several others, the
maintainers had tried to build a cistern collection (not functional when I
was there).
  Any hoo, in answer to the next question, this is as close as I come to a
bladder/bottle combination.

>The combination of a bladder and a "real" water bottle sounds very
>interesting to me.  Has anyone tried this?
>
>Along the same lines (easy access to stuff), I am very fond of a little
>"SunDog" pocket that attaches to the shoulder strap of my pack.  There is
>just enough room in there for my (small) camera, notepad, trail guide, map,
>and pencil.  It isn't particularly padded, but I put the camera in the back
>with the other stuff in front as a buffer.  If it looks like rain, I stick
>anything that doesn't want to get wet in a ziploc bag.

  Sounds like the one I've got attaches to pack strap with velcro strips,
carries my Minolta well... I did attempt to HOH proof it, it's now HOH
"resistant", the Ziplock back-up works great. At least it keeps the camera
handy for those "impromptu" shots.

take care,,,

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure