Re: [at-l] Weighing gear

>Where do people find a scale to weigh gear items?  I just have a postal
>scale (probably not perfectly accurate) and a bathroom scale (accuracy
>questionable).  So, how do I tell the weight of my tent, backpack, water
>purifier, etc. to the pound and ounce.  I'm sure the scales at the U.S.
>Post Office would do it, but I can't imagine they would let me do such a
>thing since I don't intend to then mail the items  :-)

I bought a postal scale at a stationary store, then went to our local PO on
a slow day and calibrated it with theirs. The scale weighs up to 5 lbs. As
Marty wrote, it can be quite a balancing act to get the item to fit on the
scale, but its possible with a little ingenuity. My biggest surprise came
when I weighed my Raichle Montagnas--closer to 6 lbs than the 5 or so
listed in catalogs.

Hope this helps,
Catherine

Lew and Catherine Middaugh   middaugh@best.com
   Before replying remove '.REMOVE.ME' from the return address.
   This is an attempt to reduce spam emails.