Re: [at-l] newbie greeting

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

> Date: Monday, 27-Jan-97 09:50 AM
>
> From: raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu \ Internet:    (raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu)
> To:   at-l-request             \ Internet:    (at-l@saffron.hack.net)
>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] newbie greeting
>
> Nathaniel Young wrote:
>
> > i'm new to this group and to the at commuinity.
> <snip>
> > Anyway, hello.
>
> Hi!!
>
> > one question, that i've really begun to be bothered by, is overall
cost.
> > For as long as i've been interested, i've heard $1 per mile, and have
> > been planning accordingly.  Lately i've been hearing things that lead
me
> > to believe that i might not have as good of a time, let alone make it
> > with that figure.  I will have a little breathing room, but should i
> > wait, save some more, and try again, when i have some more $?
>
> I have heard the $1/mile thing, and was planning to do a '97 thru-hike
but I
> definitely am now postponing until '98. I don't really have the money to
> account for $1/mile, let alone the "safety net."
>
> I want to save up at *least* $3000. I don't want to have to bum money off
of
> others (I don't like to borrow $$), and I don't want to feel like
pinching
> pennies to make sure my savings last to Katahdin. You may feel
differently,
> and it is ultimately your decision. But remember, more money = more stuff
> (food, hotels, restaurants, etc). :)
>
> And if you do postpone until '98, see you there!!
>
> --
> Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
> http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven
> The Appalachian Trail 1998 * Georgia -> Maine

I consider $1.00 a mile to be a minimum figure that depends on nothing
major going wrong, and not spending that much off-trail rest time.  If you
have medical problems, and you need to stay off the trail for a week or
more, your budget is down the tubes, without some sort of outside
intervention.  I, personally, wouldn't hike the trail again with less than
$2.00 a mile.  But, if you're minimalistic [and/or animalistic ;^)] to
begin with, and get off on anticipating the next unforeseen hazard to your
budget, then you could probably make it on $.50 a mile.  It all depends on
deciding what is best for you, and if you are a socialized American, the
more money the better!  TIP:  Package Goods (beer) is much more expensive
down south than it is <here>  (insert anyplace outside of the south, except
the Middle East), and forget anything harder!  Okay, so I exaggerate a
little, so here is the yin and the yang of it.  $20.00 for a case of Bud
12oz cans in Erwin, TN ($11.00, here in NJ), and $4.00 for a pitcher of Sam
Adams in Gatlinburg, TN ($6-$7.00 here in NJ).  And there is no Guinness on
tap anywhere south of VA that I could find, although I did find some
bottles in Franklin, NC, and in Gatlinburg, TN.  I even hiked with a guy,
Homebrew, who brewed his own while on the trail.

So, where was I before I got side tracked on beer. Oh yea, MONEY!  Same
rules apply on the trail as they do here (where ever 'here' may be).   The
more money you have, the more money you will spend.  The less money you
have, the less you can spend.

		have fun,

		Kurt
		kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com

There were days,
there were days,
there were days, I know.
When all we ever wanted,
was to learn and love and grow.
When we grew into our shoes,
we told them where to go.
Walked halfway around the world,
on promise of the glow
Stood upon a mountain top.
Walked barefoot in the snow.
Gave all we had to give,
how much we'll never know, . . . . never know.

                                 Robert Hunter