Re: [at-l] tent-a-rama!

Diana ^(raven)^ wrote:
> Does anyone know about any of these tents? I have a huge 10# Eureka Dome
> tent that's pretty sturdy, but I don't know anything about their smaller
> backpacking tents. I'm kind of leaning towards a tent that is
> freestanding (I kind of like the Rising Sun), but that option isn't
> absolutely necessary.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
> http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven
> The Appalachian Trail 1998 * Georgia -> Maine

	I have the slightly larger version of the Eureka Rising Sun - the
Autumn Wind (2+ person).  Although I havn't encountered a hurricane
while sleeping in it It has perfomed quite well in all temps as well as
snow and rain.  the ventilation is really good with about 1/3 of the
tent being mesh.
	The two downfalls with this tent are - it's free standing, but properly
set up with the fly the autumn wind uses 12 pegs (yes, 12) (I don't know
about the rising sun)
	And, on a less technical note, the mesh is on the sides and not
overhead. This may be better for ventilation but it cuts down on the
stargazing on those clear nights.
	Overall, the tent (Autumn Wind) is great for a good, tough week, & the
two people inside don't have to be married to be comfortable. As for the
trail I'd have to take another look at the Rising sun before I'd give it
the OK.

Just my $0.02
--
       		                      _