Re: [at-l] quotes

First thanks to all of you for the great quotes.  I have decided to
include them as a quote page on the page I am working on.

Since others were sharing their own stuff, here is something I wrote for
my own page.

Why I Backpack

Backpacking is an escape from everday life for me.  I grow tired of being
told what to do, how to do it, and why I did it wrong.  There is a certain
freedom when backpacking.  You can pretty much do whatever you want
whenever you feel like it.  I guess there are a few rules: Don't piss in a
stream, Don't set a forest fire, and Don't litter.  But I have never been
inclined to do so anyway.  Along with this freedom and lack of mental
harassment, you can think.  Not just about what comes on T.V. tonight or
whether you want a Big Mac or Quarter pounder w/ cheese for lunch, but
really think about stuff.  What kinda person you want to be? or What do
you want to do with your life?  You know the questions you always put off
because you are busy with more<em> important</em> stuff.  I am not sure
that
the sole cause in this change in mental state is the lack of mental
harassment however.  Your mind is supplied with positive reinforcements.
Halfway up the side of a mountain, you think there is no way I can do this
and that the mountain will never end.  But the mountains alway do, and you
are amazed that you made it to the summit.  You take in the summits view,
and you can almost feel the self-confidence building inside of you.  There
is also a physical reward with climbing those mountains.  Your muscles get
stronger and your body's endurance increases.

Another cause of this
mental change is the direct effect of nature.  Once you remove the
boundaries we put up between nature and ourselves(houses, cars, roads,
ets.) you realize that there is alot more out there.  Humans are not the
only living thing on this earth.  We are just a small part of huge diverse
collection of living things.  You notice all the the insects and animals
and how they all fit together.  The only things they want are food, water,
and shelter.  These are the same things you work for when you enter their
world.  When you can't go to the kitchen and pour a glass of water, you
begin to appreciate water.  And it is not just water, you eventually
appreciate all the simple things in life.  I think this is one of the
greatest rewards from backpacking.  I stop acting like a spoiled brat,
when I have to wait in traffic for a half an hour or when my pizza that I
ordered is a little late.  I just feel lucky that I have a car or that I
can order a pizza at all.  I can't say enough about the rewards of
backpacking, and I encourage anyone interested to give it a try.

James Bigler                           Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
email: gt8054b@prism.gatech.edu
homepage: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~jb182