[at-l] Blue Blazin'

Here's a thought question.  We're all aware of the term 'AT purist' which
means essentially doing the trail from white blaze to white blaze with no
deviations whatsoever (the way I hope to do it the first time!!).  Now, has
anyone ever planned or thought about hiking the AT, but doing so using as
many side parallel trails as possible (not roads).  In other words, passing
as few white blazes, but still using trails, as you can.  An example would
be to use the Big Blue-Ticonderoga trail, which parallels the AT between the
SNP in Virginia and comes back in somewhere in Pennsylvania.