Re: [at-l] quotes

>To: Douglas K Gibbons <douglasg@nlnet.nf.ca>
>From: rhymworm@mindspring.com (Robert Rubin)
>Subject: Re: [at-l] quotes
>Bcc:
>>All these quotes, poems, epigrams, etc have been wonderful (nice
>>to see "Road Not Taken" in its entirety).....but are there any original
>>works out there, composed by hikers themselves (perhaps even written on
>>the AT)? Come on poets! Show your stuff! Genius has a boldness to it!
>>
>>ps don't be shy.......
>>pss you may be quoted decades hence....think about it....(honest)...
>
>Okay Doug, you asked for it. Here are parts 1-2 of a 5-part AT poem that I
>hope to finish before I begin my thruhike. This is coming from a guy whose
>shelter register entries usually rhyme.
>
>                THE PATH
>i.
>
>Unless you know to look you'll drive past it,
>and never see the track that boots erode,
>the woods-hooded eyewhite stare splashed upon
>a poplar trunk a few steps from the road;
>
>only the chlorophyl-bright yards, the lawn
>ornaments and shorn boxwood, the swelling
>impoundment of strip mall culture that backs
>from urban dams up blacktop bays, smelling
>
>of diesel and mown fescue: billboard facts
>of who you are and how you live that blur
>outside your windows until you forget
>the journey's end to which the signs refer.
>
>Still, it abides: the path--obscure and yet
>impossible to miss once you have seen.
>It disappears into a strip of woods,
>insinuates its way, within its green
>
>enframement, through suburban neighborhoods,
>emerging at the margin of blue hills
>that, as a boy, your father flew you once
>above. You know that valley, with its creeks, rills,
>
>dirt roads, brown summer fields, far riverfront's
>meandering verge--its stippled orchardsquare
>a wicker-woven basket for your dreams--
>and wonder if the path still leads you there.
>
>ii.
>
>MacKaye envisioned it, one of those schemes
>we'd jeer today, a crackpot's windmill-tilt
>utopia upon a mountain ridge.
>But his America was that which built
>
>the steel roads heading west, the Brooklyn Bridge;
>that armed a million men to end a war;
>a bull moose of a land that blundered on
>impervious to pain, just as T.R.
>
>shrugged off an assassain's bullet. No dawn
>of doubt dismayed MacKaye, nor Avery,
>nor those who shouldered shovel, hoe and axe.
>The age's ills--class wars, wage slavery,
>
>Great Men, armed masses--these were simply facts
>attesting to "the problem of living."
>Let maquisards and markets liquidate
>themselves! for beneath all, unforgiving
>
>gears turned, wires hummed: machines to separate
>the head and heart, efficiency to chain
>and not to liberate as Edisons
>would have us think. Instead, this half-insane
>
>idea: a footpath through the wild that runs
>along the Appalachians' spine and takes
>the walker high enough to see beyond
>strait circumstance, delusions and mistakes.

> [...]

Robert Rubin
RHYMWORM@mindspring.com
Newsletter Editor, PIEDMONT APPALACHIAN TRAIL HIKERS
http://www.ansouth.net/~dchildre/path.html

Cc:            at-l@saffron.hack.net, atml@trailplace.com
From:          Beau Bushor N1MJD <bushor@lemming.uvm.edu>
Date:          Sat, 25 Jan 1997 21:46:09 -0500 (EST)
Subject:       [at-l] Re: Weighing gear

Hello All,

	I weigh my things at the local post office.  There is a postal
scale in the lobby.  Be careful with full fuel containers.  They get weird
when they see them.  Learned the hard way on that day.  Federal court is
upstairs and the Federal Marshals don't have a sense of humor.  A local
Pack and Ship has allowed me to weigh stuff. Try to avoid real busy times
and most places will let you use their scales.  Most people are fascinated
with what you have and what your planning to do.

Beau Bushor N1MJD
  "bleeder guy"
Burlington, Vermont