[at-l] Weighing gear

> > For those who want to know the "real" weight of some of your
> > equipment, I''ll drag a couple scales (2# and 20#) along.  If you
> > want to weigh your whole pack I think the ATC has a scale.
> This message is from the Appalachian Trail Mailing List             [AT-L]

Standard warning: please forgive cross-postings.
Standard warning #2: please forgive if this has been discussed before I
got on these lists.

Where do people find a scale to weigh gear items?  I just have a postal
scale (probably not perfectly accurate) and a bathroom scale (accuracy
questionable).  So, how do I tell the weight of my tent, backpack, water
purifier, etc. to the pound and ounce.  I'm sure the scales at the U.S.
Post Office would do it, but I can't imagine they would let me do such a
thing since I don't intend to then mail the items  :-)

Must I *buy* a 20# scale for personal use?  I can't believe that this is
what everyone does.  So what _do_ y'all do?

--  "Earthworm"

*                                                                          *
*  Linda L. Patton                  "Nearness to nature...keeps the        *
*  Reference Librarian               spirit sensitive to impressions       *
*  Strozier Library                  not commonly felt, and in touch       *
*  Florida State University          with the unseen powers."              *
*  Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047             --Ohiyesa                        *
*                                           The Soul of the Indian         *
*  Phone: (904) 644-5019                    1911                           *
*  E-Mail: lpatton@mailer.fsu.edu                                          *
*                ...the siren call of the wilderness...                    *