[at-l] Re: Cooking Spices

Jason Brooks wrote:

> Sorry multi-listers, just want as much feedback as possible.
>
> What type of spices, seasonings, etc. are the most practical and versatile
> to have in a cooking kit?  Just looking for suggestions on how to add
> varitety to the same foods.  Thanks.  Jason
> "Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.  It is to grow in
> the open air, and to eat and sleep with the earth."
>                         -- Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
> "Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
> he has achieved so much-the wheel, New York, wars and so on-while all the
> dolphins have ever done was muck around in the water having a good time.
> But conversely, the dolphins have always believed that they were far more
> intelligent than man-for precisely the same reasons."
>                         -- Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy
along with the tabasco that "wingfoot" mentions also good is seasoning
salt, cajon spice, garlic powder, and italian seasoning.  A small packet
of each goes a long way.  Ramps when available add flavor.  Brown sugar
if you like it, adds to the breakfast stuff and can be cooked in with
dried fruit for a desert treat.         Goose