Re: [at-l] quotes

James Bigler wrote:
> have any suggestions for a quote that describes the reason we hike.
>
> Thanks again.

So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the
initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life
of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give
one piece of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous
spirit within a man than a secure future.  The very basic core of a man’s
living spirit is his passion for adventure.  The joy of life comes from our
encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to
have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different
sun.

Excerpt from a letter written by Chris Mccandless (Alex Supertramp)  to Ron
Franz—in ‘Into the Wild’