[at-l] Re: boots

<<The books all seem to say that three or more pair of shoes
will be needed>>

Three or four pairs of boots for an AT thru-hike seems excessive to me,
unless you have a lot of really bad luck with them. I used two pairs; some
Merrell Leathers went the first 1,700 miles, a pair of Danner Mountain Lights
went the rest of the way, and I'm still wearing them. I met other guys on the
trail that wore Mountain Lights the entire distance. I even saw a pair of
light-weight Asolos that made it to Katahdin, although they were really slick
by the time I saw them. I'd plan on two pairs. More than that's just bad
luck.

Antaeus '93