Re: [at-l] Now what?

Sandy, Kahley, et al,,,

  I've used a Stainless Steel Swiss Army "Tinker-style" for over 10 years.
It was given to me by one of my WEBLOS Scouts when I "moved up" to Boy
Scouts.  I did sharpen the finger nail file blade, so I'd have a shorter
blade (mostly for "gutting" fish). I carry a repair kit (stove) that has a
small pliers (and other items).

  It has 6 "blades", overall length (closed) under 3 1/2 inches. It weighs
less than 2 oz (with a 12 inch lanyard, makes it easier to find when
needed). Mine doesn't have the wonderful "toothpick" and "tweezer" features
(have'nt found use for that, floss suffices).
  The blades are:  Main Blade - - - - - - 2 1/4 inches
                          Finger Nail  - - - - - - 1 3/8 inches (slightly
ground down)
                          Odd Can Opener - - 1 inch
                          Flat Screwdriver/bottle opener - 1 inch
                          Awl (spike) - - - - - - 1 1/2 inches
                 and a Phillips Screwdriver - 1 1/2 inch.
  The SS blades hold a keen edge well. I do usually include a 4 inch diamond
hone in my repair kit for occasional touch-ups.
  Der Frau has one of the newer "Tinkers", has all the features of mine plus
the wonderful features (which probably will get lost easily). The can opener
has been restyled.
  BTW I have my trusty P-38 opener connected to the knife lanyard, keeps
both handy.

  take care,,

At 05:23 PM 1/23/97, SANDY@mayo.edu wrote:
>> So what's
>> the unanymous verdict on a good knife to carry? SAR or multi-tool.
>> And please remember how...frugal I am.		Kahley
>
>I would say the best way to determine which is best is to
>take a look at your gear . I bought one of the mini Leatherman
>tools last spring planning to take it on our thru-hike, after
>carrying it all summer I discovered the only thing I ever used
>was the knife blade. So I started looking at all the gadgets on
>the tool and trying to figure out why I needed them . First
>the phillips head screwdriver, nope don't need that nothing I
>carry has phillips head screws, then I started thinking even
>farther and noticed we have no screws whatsoever. Bottom line
>was, the only thing I could figure out a need for was the
>blade, so now I carry a Gerber LST .
>Nice little knife, weighs about an ounce, and does what I need
>it to do. So take alook at your stuff , and see if you really
>need all those gadgets. Maybe you do, maybe you don't ......
>"Only the Shadow knows for sure "
>
>unanimous verdict ? What's that ?
>
>erehwon and erehwyna
>
>ME to GA '97  (REXX says leaving in 2,742 hours 12 minutes )

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure