Cc:            at-l@saffron.hack.net, atml@trailplace.com
From:          Beau Bushor N1MJD <bushor@lemming.uvm.edu>
Date:          Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:14:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject:       [at-l] Morton's neuroma & sports medicine references

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Jim Mayer wrote:
> One option is surgery to remove the neuroma.  Since it takes up to a year
> I'm wondering whether anyone has tried an AT thru-hike with a Morton's
> neuroma, and whether or not the pounding your feet took aggravated the
> problem.

Hello All,
	Very good question.  I see my foot Doctor on Tuesday. I will be
having a surgery work up for the removal of my neuroma(s).  I have had
them injected with cortisone in the past.  This helps some for about 2
months. I use orthodics and they help a lot for the flat feet.  My
hemophilia makes surgery an adventure for me but the last injections I
ended up with a badly bruised foot.  I also would like to hear from anyone
who has had this surgery. The big question is was it worth it?  What is it
like with a toe with no feeling? Do blisters on that toe cause special
problems.  My doctor says I should be able to be hiking with a full pack
by this May if I have February surgery.  Thanks for your help......

Beau Bushor N1MJD
  "bleeder guy"
Burlington, Vermont