Re: [at-l] Re: fog on glasses

  I haven't tried RAIN-X on glasses either... It works great on
cars/trucks/suvs, once you're up to about 30 MPH.

  I'd be a little careful with glasses, check with your local vision
store/Dr., about using it on Plastic/Carbonate type lenses; may cause problems.

  Just read the CAVEATs on RAIN-X (yellow bottle), "Do not spill or splatter
on painted surfaces or use on plastics unless preapproved by the
manufacturer of the plastic to be treated..." RAIN-X also makes an
"Anit-fog" solution (black bottle), that says "Ends Fogging, Misting &
Steaming on INTERIOR Class, Plastics & Mirrors"; on the back its suggested
uses include Eye Glasses & Goggles, Helmet Visors and Face Shields...

  Guess I'll try that next snow storm;;; temps here now have skyrocketed up
to the 40s yesterday, snow and weather have turned "crappy" for XCountry
skiing around here. Tems and weather are to change this weekend, maybe more
snow...

  I'll post a note when I get to try the "Anti-Fog" RAIN-X....

  take care,,,,

At 05:01 PM 1/21/97 -0600, Frank Reid wrote:
>"Benjamin Brent Forbis" <bbforbis@eos.ncsu.edu> writes:
>Subject: [at-l] hiking by braile method
>
>>In responce to hiking in fog (ie.by braile) as long as there  is
>>any substance that can put a thin film between the glass and exposure will
>>prevent the fogging. As a scuba diver I have heard of a raw potato, a very
>>weak solution of baby sampoo/h2O, spit(the cheapest and most portable)
>
>I've read that Russians rub potatoes on their windshields to produce a
>water-repellant effect, because windshield-wiper blades are hard to get and
>are often stolen.
>
>Rain-X (tm) is absolutely wonderful on windshields.  It's a wax-like
>substance that prevents wetting; the rain forms little balls and blows
>away.  The faster you go, the better it works, and it's pretty, like being
>inside a bottle of Sprite!  Car wax on glass works similarly but not nearly
>as well.  I haven't tried Rain-X on eyeglasses; it should work well in
>rain, allowing you to shake the water off the lenses.
>
>Rain-X is NOT effective against fog.  For fog you need the opposite effect,
>i.e., a surfactant (wetting agent) which destroys surface-tension and makes
>water spread in a uniform layer.  Soap does that, which is why baby shampoo
>works, but it must be kept wet and reapplied frequently to be effective,
>and may form a cloudy film when dry.  I've never found a de-fog compound
>that's truly satisfactory.  Stuff from an auto-parts store had no
>noticeable effect on the inside of a windshield or on a bathroom mirror.
>
> --  Frank     reid@indiana.edu

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure