Re: [at-l] Hiking fog-blind

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, R. L. (Dick) Wix wrote on the topic of glasses-fogging:

>    I've used an old SCUBA diving method... Spit on the lenses, rub around
> (smooth out the lumps), wipe clear with your bandana... Not the neatest, and
> sometimes not the clearest, but better to be able to see the trees for the
> forest.!!!  (there's a commercial brand of "stuff" called "CAT CRAP" that's
> supposed to work, never tried it)...

I've been told that rubbing the 'gel' kind of toothpase on the lenses and
rubbing it off with *cold* water is another way to help prevent the
problem.  I had it a lot when I used to go caving.  The temepture in the
cave is pretty stable year-round and equal to the average of the temp
year-round outdise (about 50 deg.) so whatever the season it was usually
hotter of colder in the cave and either going in or coming out my glasses
would fog (going in this was very dangerous because the passageway was
nearly vertical and only wide enough for one at a time so I was climbing
down, with nobody who could help 'spot' for me, in both senses of the word!)

Ahhh, the trouble of glasses.
  \ | /
  --0--    The sun is shining in chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  / | \

-jeff