Re: [at-l] web site

Don (runadog@peganet.com) wrote:

> This web site has some information about the AT
> Its about following the Appalichian trail with your car
>
> http://www.moon.com/road_trip/
>

> They say it comes close to paralleling the pedestrian hike, but I doubt it.

I don't know anything about this web site, but I do know about driving the trail.  I spent 4 months last summer driving to road crossings (in all 14 states) and day hiking (900 miles total).  A look at the maps will verify that a good bit of the trail is closely shadowed by roads, plus anyone that has spent time on the trail can recall the roads visible in many of the vistas, plus hearing the road noises as they hiked.

In my mind, a viable option to a conventional hike is a 'road' hike.  Park at road crossings, hike out and back, then sleep in your vehicle.  Yo-Yo-ing (out and back) is not as boring or redundant as it may sound.  The trail generally reveals itself differently each direction.

This 'long distance day hiking' concept may be best for people that are segment hiking, or people that feel they could not finish a conventional hike.

Rick Mann, aka 'Pittsburgh'
rmann@eng.appl.ge.com