Re: [at-l] WEIGHT LOSS/PACK WEIGHT

At 10:05 AM 1/17/97, rdubois@VNET.IBM.COM wrote:
>I have a feeling I'm probably not going to get a lot of scientific
>evidence, but what's everybody's take on the tradeoff between
>trying to cut pack weight down by ounces versus just losing
>some body weight?

>I'm just trying to decide whether I should lose a few
>pounds before I start the trail in an effort to reduce the
>stress on my knees and feet.  I'm not overweight at all, but
>I've weighed a few pounds less than I do now and I'm wondering
>if that would help my hike this year.

In my experience, if I am overweight by more than 15 pounds at the start of
the hike then losing body weight will help more than losing pack weight.
But, I will lose that much after 3 weeks on the trail, and then two things
happen.

1, I am hungry all the time, no matter how much I eat; and
2, Pack fittings and clothing have to be readjusted. (This is a major
hassle if losing 15 pounds is enough to drop you down a size.)

Since you are currently at a good weight, I would advise against a diet
before the hike, since you will lose weight on the trip after a few weeks
anyway. Of course, in all this YMMV.

Hope this helps,
Catherine

Lew and Catherine Middaugh