[at-l] Re: Good Customer Support

Chalk up another "Kelty is awesome" story.  They replaced my shoulder
straps no questions asked.  I called on Wednesday afternoon at 4PM.  The
woman apologized that she couldn't overnight mail them until the next
morning so I would have to wait until Friday.  But my whole intention was
to use my duct tape solution for another week and have the straps in the
next town.  She said that would be great too.

Now a more general comment: It is in these companies' best interests to
provide good product support.  Customer loyalty and word of mouth means
a lot to their business.  On top of that, people ask long-distance
hikers about their equipment -- a lot.  Now I've told my Kelty story
hundreds of times.  Would they have preferred I told the, "they told me
to suck it up and handle it myself" story?

HOWEVER, that is no excuse for long-distance hikers to expect
extraordinary treatment.  We don't pay any more for the equipment than
anybody else.  I don't think we should ever stop being amazed and extra
grateful when a company sends free equipment through general-delivery mail.

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu     "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	     and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  (713) 630-8678           many people as I wish."    |
|http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danieljg      GA->PA 96, PA->ME 97         |