[at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #72

On Jan 17, 12:00am, at-l-digest wrote:
> [...]
>--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:11:26 -0500
> >From: greenway@marlin.innerx.net
> Subject: [at-l] Reasons for thru-hiking
>
> At 12:00 AM 1/16/97 -0600,
> >From: SDWoot@aol.com
> >Subject: [at-l] Reason for thru-hiking
> >
> ><After that 1985 hike Ithought I would have a more profound answer, but I
> >could never quite pin itdown to more than, "I just wanted to do a big
> >adventure." The 1985
> >thru-hike was indeed profound, as have been all the rest, but I have never
> >been able to put my reasons for doing it into words that make any sense to
> >anyone else. It's just something that I understand but can't really
> >communicate.>
>
> Jean-Louis Etienne was quoted in _Crossing Antarctica_, about the first
> unsupported dogsled expedition across the continent, when asked why "we do
> it." It went something along the lines of "it's like asking someone why they
> like chocolate.  They just do."  J-LE also said that, to be happy, you
> should "invent life"--making your own adventure before the phrase became a
> TV catchphrase. You know, that sounds like enough of a reason to me.
>
> Jim Greenway
>
> - -----------------------------------------------< http://www.hack.net/lists
>--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:45:08 -0500 (EST)
> >From: Bchiker001@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Need IRC info!
>
> In a message dated 97-01-16 19:10:35 EST, at1996@juno.com (Gail B. Johnson)
> writes:
>
> << Help!  I would like to do the IRC thing, but deleted that message.  Would
>  somebody please forward me information??? >>
>
> Hi there,
>      I have Mirc too!  Now what?  Since I'm semi-computer illiterate, or is
> it computer semi-illiterate, maybe it's just computer illiterate!  Whatever,
> can I get step by step directions on what to do next!  Do I sign on to AOL?
>  Then what?  Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,  The Slyman '97
>
> 74 days and I'm outta here!
> - -----------------------------------------------< http://www.hack.net/lists
>--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:47:55 -0500
> >From: jplynch@crosslink.net (James P. Lynch)
> Subject: [at-l] Tarps and Bivy Sacks...
>
> Any east coasters have experience with this set up?  This is sort of what I
> was thinking of for a light weight, flexible arrangement (maybe with the
> addition of mosquito netting in the summer!)...
>
> >in my 30 years of backpacking, the only times i've used a tent was in
> >winter or with my kids. the rest of the time i've used a tarp and bivy
> >cover. my present set up is a 10x10 campmore tarp and a north face
> >goretex bivy cover. i should also note that i live on the west coast.
> >your living on the east coast may present different problems.

James,
When I first started hiking and camping that was the only way I traveled. I
used a hammock also, which helped get me off the ground when it rained ane I
was perfectly comfortable. A hammock is a bit cold in the winter because of the
circulating air around you and I would prefer to be on the ground then and use
leaves, mat or whatever else I could for insulation. It's all a matter of
preference. Get out and try it for  a feww trips in the nastiest conditions you
can and see if it works for you. There are some really light weight tarps you
can use, the nylon ripstop versions that weight around a pound or less.