Re: [at-l] Bivy Sacks and broken stuff

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Jim Mayer wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> I have a tall/wide unishelter on order.  I'll post some info when I
> actually see the item!
>
> I plan to use it with a small, 5x7 tarp that they are making for me.  The
> tarp is made from coated 1.1 ripstop nylon, and should weigh next to
> nothing.  Their cost was VERY reasonable.

What's the tarp for - over? under?

I was also impreseed that the prices were so good considering how much
custom work it is.  The only thing I would be afraid of would be warantee
repairs on the trail.  I don't know what their turn around time is, but
just considering how far away they are, if you have to send something
back to them, that could be a long time, no?

This breaks into another thread - what do you do if something breaks on
the trail?  Limiting the topic to things with lifetime warentees (most
packs, tents, bags, clothing), it seems like a waste to buy a new one.  I
know some companies are really good about overnight shipping or letting
you go into the nearest dealer to exchange it for a new one.  Does
anybody have any particularly good brands to reccomend or horror stories?

-jeff