Re: [at-l] Fuel bottles

At 12:51 PM 1/15/97 PST, MManzano@aol.com wrote:
>I just bought an 11 oz fuel bottle to replace my 22 oz bottle.  With fuel, I
>have saved about 13 oz.  Most people who have spoken in favor of going with
>an 11 oz btl have said it would be adequate for a thru hike.  What I'd like
>to know is:  Are there any hikers out there who would disagree, and who think
>the smaller bottle is not adequate?  I cook the usual backpackers supper, but
>also heat water in the a.m. for coffee plus a little leftover to splash on my
>face - probably 18-20 oz in all.  I use an MSR whisperlite, which boils water
>pretty fast.

I know one person who used an 11oz bottle for her entire thru-hike.  She
ate cold breakfasts, and used a "bakepacker" for her dinners.  Since all
her dinners were cooked in a plastic bag, she had nearly no cleanup.  The
system worked really well for her, though she got some ribbing about eating
cold instant oatmeal!  On the other hand, she was hiking while other folks
were still cleaning their pots!

Why don't you run an experment:

(1) find someplace cold (easy this time of year!)
(1) precisely measure out some fuel
(2) make yourself a two cups of coffee, wash up twice, and
    cook two (huge) dinners.  Start with ice water to be conservative.
(3) measure how much fuel is left!

This should give you a reasonable estimate of how much fuel you will use
each day.  Multiply that by your longest resupply interval, add in a fudge
factor (20% maybe?), and you'll have an estimate of how big a bottle you'll
need!

If you do the experiment, I'd love to see the results!

-- Jim