Re: [at-l] Rehashing the cell phone thang.

Hi,

Just one note about cell phones... If you leave it on so that someone can
make an emergency call TO YOU, the battery will be drained in no time.
Most phones have a "standby" time of 12 hours or so.  You could, perhaps,
arrange to turn it on for an hour every day at some fixed time, but that
would be the extent of it (and a hassle to boot).  If you do decide to pack
a phone, check out how long the battery lasts WHEN THE UNIT IS OFF.  My
(probably faulty) recollection is that the fancy new batteries (lithium ion
& nickle metal hydride) drop off very quickly.  NiCad batteries lose about
half their charge fairly quickly, but then drop at a lower rate (something
like 5-10 percent loss per day).

I believe that there is a lot of info out on the web on this topic, but,
unfortunately, my memory is rather hazy.  I AM NOT NOW, NOR HAVE I EVER
BEEN, AN EXPERT ON BATTERY TECHNOLOGY :-)  I seem to recall that, when I
was thinking about carrying a phone in the backcountry, I decided on an
extra capacity NiCad battery pack.  By the way, I don't carry one, and
don't have any plans to.

I suppose that a solar charger might be an option, but then your weight
starts to add up.

-- Jim