Re: [at-l] Freshman orientation

I think my fall '92 freshman orientation at Bates College (located in
beautiful Lewiston, Maine -- ;-) was when I really started to consider
thru-hiking...  We were about a dozen teenagers in the Bigelow Range..  I
remember passing on messages between thru-hikers (we were heading South and
the Northbounders were on the home stretch).  But I think my favorite memory
was sitting in the Horn Pond Shelter in a torrential downpour singing the
Bates fight song to a similar group of kids from a Colby College COOT trip
who were huddled in their tents (we offered to share the shelter, but they
declined - hee hee!).   Colby and Bates are arch-rivals in sports, etc. but
everyone knows that, pound for pound the Fightin' Bobcat is one of the
fiercest animals around and of course White Mules are sterile.

Anyway, I look forward to running into some college kids enjoying the AT and
looking forward to college, but I make no excuses for the Bates football team
(one for sixty-something in the last 5-6 years... gulp).

Scoob