Re: [at-l] Light weight footgear

Jim,

  I've used Rockport low quarter "trekkers" for years. I've never had
problems with ankles, ice and roller blade
skating along with XCountry skiing seem to keep them in good condition. The
shoes last about 1500 miles per pair. I've hiked most of the mountains
around Tucson AZ, the Grand Canyon (3x, last time rim to rim), plus the AT
and several shorter trails. In my younger days, everyone thought you needed
high tops because your ankles needed the support. I discovered accidentally
thru my sons Hockey Schools (in VT), the boots help but the ankles need to
be strengthened. One of the drills the instructors used was to remove the
laces from the skates, have the teams do their drills normally (I tried it,
gouged holes in the soles of my skates with my toes; but found I needed less
ankle support in the long run).
  My major problem with low quarters is usually the depth of the fords
(creeks), they seem to leak a lot around the tops... ;-> Rockport has
changed their design some in the last year, I haven't tried the new model
(still have 1 1/2 pairs of shoes in good shape).

  Now the usual disclaimer... These are not for every one (my wife included,
she uses Vasques New Briars, which are supposedly the same as Sundowners;
she's very satisfied with them, has about 200 + miles on them [still
breaking in]).

  If your legs, knees and ankles can handle the low quarters do it. You'll
be carrying at LEAST a pound per leg less.

  Do your thing.!!!

  stay warm,

At 08:59 AM 1/14/97 PST, Jim Mayer wrote:
>What is the lightest footgear that you have used on rocky trails (like the
>AT)?  I've heard lots of reasons why one needs:
>
>(a) heavy leather boots
>(b) light weight leather boots
>(c) light weight fabric and leather boots
>(c) running shoes or low cut boots
>
>I'd be real curious to hear about actual experiences with lighter weight
>footgear.  The "gospel" of light weight footgear seems to be:
>
>(1) keep your pack light
>(2) walk carefully
>(3) train with light weight footgear to keep your ankles strong and flexible
>
>Has anyone had any good experiences with light weight footgear?
>How about bad experiences?
>
>-- Jim

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure