Re: [at-l] Relationships

I've put off backpacking for so long because hubby had no interest in it. I
eventually got him into day hikes, but nothing more. He has a lot of
allergies and usually gets pretty miserable when outdoors for a while.

After reading about the Laurel Highlands Trail and talking to one of the
rangers, I'm pretty confident I can take that on this year. I plan to do a
weekend (out to a shelter and back) just to get used to backpacking, then go
back later on and do the whole 70 miles on the "slowpoke" plan: a shelter
every night. As much as I'd like to have a hiking buddy for my first outing,
the "security" on the LHT (rangers check shelters after dark to see if you
showed up) makes me less fearful of going solo...which is what's kept me
from backpacking all these years. I also would like to hook up with a local
backpacking group (if there is one) and am looking into that now.

That's why I'm glad to have the emotional support and the technical know-how
of this group :) Thank you all!

Sandy

PS. I'm planning for 1999 too, Jim -- perhaps I'll see you on the trail!
---Sandra Downs 	<downs@nb.net>
---Pittsburgh, PA       Visit Cyberwall! http://www.nb.net/~downs/