[at-l] Re: Reading Material

What I did for reading material is probably what most of you do NOT think
will work for you, but believe it or not I found MAGAZINES were what I
enjoyed most.  Here's why:

* Reasonably easy to pick up in various towns
* Lightweight
* Throw them away when you're done
* I really enjoy reading a good magazine cover to cover and it's
something I rarely make the time to do off of the Trail.
* I personally enjoyed reading about "the real world" on my hike.  It was
like reading about a distant place I knew very well and would return to.
My hike was about doing something different and wonderful; I didn't feel
the desire to cut myself off from "reality" completely.

Oh and it was four weeks into my hike before I had enough "down time" in
camp to carry leisure reading.  So I might recommend starting out with
nothing and changing your mind once you're in the groove.

As always, just letting folks know what worked for me.

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu     "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	     and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  (713) 630-8678           many people as I wish."    |
|http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danieljg      GA->PA 96, PA->ME 97         |