Re: [at-l] Relationships.

Tom,

My wife, Donna, has NO interest in long distance hiking.  Of course, when
we got married I didn't either!  She does have some interest in camping,
and is willing to try weekend backpacking as a family and/or couple activity.

Donna did agree to support me in a thru-hike, probably in 1999.  This is an
incredible gift on her part, especially since she really doesn't understand
why I want to do one!  What Donna does understand is that hiking has taken
on a spiritual dimension for me... and she can support the goal, even if
she doesn't understand the path.

On a technical level, we are trading my thru-hike for a family vacation and
a two week trip to Bali for her.

And finally, if your partner wants you around ALL the time, you'll have a
problem!  Like most things in marriages, flexibilty and empathy are key.
Unfortunately, understanding that and LIVING it are two different things
entirely... I wish I was better at it!

Good luck.

-- Jim