Re: [at-l] Hiking fog-blind

Two suggestions from a fellow glasses wearer:

(1) Get a "light weight"  balaclava made of the same sort of stuff they
make long underwear out of.  I got mine at EMS, and I think that it is made
of Polartec 100 or something similar.  Mine is light enough that I can
breath through it with a little practice.  The trick is to wear the heavy
balaclava (or watch cap) on your head, and the light one over your face.

(2) Get a balaclava made of stretch fabric and pull the hole in the
balaclava down below your mouth or nose (if your nose is less stuffy than
mine!).

(3) I've seen, but never tried, balaclavas with a mesh insert over the
mouth.  OR has one, I believe.  If it works for you, please tell me!

Actually, carrying a light weight balaclava and a mid weight hat is a good
system.  Think of it as layering for the head!  I usually find that the
light weight balaclava is as much as I want to wear while walking, and that
it is great in a sleeping bag (even in warmer weather it keeps the grease
off the fabric).  The mid weight hat or balaclava is nice and warm in camp,
or for walking if it is really cold.

-- Jim Mayer