[at-l] Cotton ain't so bad?

I was cross-country skiing today, getting ready for my AT trip in March.
I was wearing two cotton t's with a fleece outer layer, and I was totaly
drenched (no doubt).  However, I had a pair of polyester (50%), cotton 50%
long johns on, and no problem.  My outer-pant shell was GoreTex.  I was
wondering if anyone had any ideas on cotton/synthetic blend liner clothing.
 As long as there is a breathable outer layer, would the blend clothing be
appropriate.  (Temp was -20C/-4F, no precipitation)

Mike MacLean
I decided on my trail name!!
Now being known as:  BackRest