Re: [at-l] Re: Section to Hike?

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

> Date: Friday, 10-Jan-97 05:35 PM
>
> From: ATTurtle@aol.com         \ America On-Line: (ATTurtle)
> To:   at-l-request             \ Internet:    (at-l@saffron.hack.net)
>
> Subject: [at-l] Re: Section to Hike?
>
> Dave wrote:
>
> >Me and a group of friends(10-15) are wanting to do a section of the AT
>
> Well, I wouldn't want to give anybody a hard time about hiking the AT,
but
> many people consider it bad form to hike in large groups.  To some extent,
> this is official policy.  The nearest AT guidebook I have is for Md and
N. Va,
> and it says "The policy of the Appalachian Trail Conference is that
groups
> planning to spend one or more nights on the Trail should not exceed 10
people
> ...".
>
> I agree with this policy.  I think large groups tend to concentrate more
and
> thus are more destructive at camping areas.  Also, large groups tend to
take
> over areas to the exclusion of others.
>
> I have heard people disagree with this.  And I doubt that you would get
thrown
> off the trail for going in a large group.
>
> ATTurtle

During thru-hiking season, groups of 15 to 25 thru-hikers can be on the
same sections of trail, and stay in and/or around the same shelters for
days on end.  Personal experience:  17 packed into Derrick Knob Shelter
last April.  At least 20 hikers camped in or around Applehouse Shelter in
April.  The point being, their are large groups on the trail all the time.
As long as everyone in a group of hikers respects the environment around
them, the impact on the area that they are hiking should be minimal.  All
it takes is one a**hole to leave their trash behind to make a mess of an
area.  At Applehouse we had quite a good party, with alot a beer. That
night, the place was quite trashed.  Almost everyone took great pains to
police the area in the morning, including the trash of others that was
there before we all arrived.  A group of people are not necessarily a bad
thing on the trail, but one ignorant person can be.

I rather meet up with a large group of people on the trail, than one person
with an unruly, disobedient dog.

		have fun,

		Kurt
		kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com

There were days,
there were days,
there were days, I know.
When all we ever wanted,
was to learn and love and grow.
When we grew into our shoes,
we told them where to go.
Walked halfway around the world,
on promise of the glow
Stood upon a mountain top.
Walked barefoot in the snow.
Gave all we had to give,
how much we'll never know, . . . . never know.

                                 Robert Hunter