Re: [at-l] Military on the AT?

Jim, (et.al.),

At 10:12 PM 1/9/97 est, you wrote:
>> A couple of my friends and I ran into a hundred or so Marines in the
>Smoky
>> mountains. They got dropped off at Fontana dam in buses.  They were
>hanging
>> around in a big mob [snip]

  Back in 93, I "met" an Apache Chopper coming over the hills near Hawk
Mt (GA), almost "eyeball to eyeball" with the pilot. He really didn't surprise
me, I could hear him coming from quite a way.
  In 94 I remember being "buzzed" by A-10s making gunnery passes, up
north in PA I think (need to check journal). Actually they were gunning
targets a few miles off the trail, but were beginning their tree-top runs
right over the trail area (fun to watch).!

>Which reminds me...has anyone been in the path of Dartmouth's freshman
>orientation, where Dartmouth's entire freshman class is taken to the
>Whites
>and turned loose en masse?  Just another trail hazard to consider :-)

  Met several *groups* from Harvard and Dartmouth in NH and in ME. If I
remember correctly, Indiana Jean (94-95) was evacuated by a Harvard "B"
team when she broke her leg just past the NH/ME border. Generally the
groups I met were more curious about me than I of them. They seemed to
be pretty trail wise (almost no trace, hard to do with groups). Quite a
way to orient freshmen (persons?  ;->   ).

>jim
>
>sorry about the thread creep, I couldn't resist...

  Stay warm,
   spring left Rochester again
   (more snow and now 5 above)

         Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Tropical; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure