[at-l] Re: "Drunk Rednecks"

The most "dangerous" situation of this type I encountered last summer
worked out like this:

I had absolute solitude all day until I reached a gravel road at about 4PM
(Sunday) with 3 miles left to walk.  I heard the voices and the radio as I
approached.  Not feeling like being paranoid, I walked up to the group,
stood downwind, and took off my pack.  After about 45 seconds of friendly
conversation, I was handed an ice cold Budweiser.  They later insisted
that I take a second for the road.

No they didn't have guns, but these were very much the type of "no good
locals" that we hikers normally try to avoid.

People are people.

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu     "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	     and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  (713) 630-8678           many people as I wish."    |
|http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danieljg      GA->PA 96, PA->ME 97         |